Safety Tips For Your Gas Cylinders
With health and safety the major concerns today, the team at Hocon Industrial Gas thought it would be timely to share some safety reminders for your gas cylinders.
Ensuring a safe storage space
- select a dry, cool, well-ventilated space
- store cylinders away from vehicle traffic, stairs, corridors and paths of egress
- maintain at least a 20-foot space between cylinders and any combustible material such as oil, paper, wood or grease
- fuel gas cylinders also must be kept at least 20 feet from any oxidizer (oxygen, nitrous oxide and bromine are some examples) cylinders
- make sure there is no unnecessary uncontrolled ignition sources or combustion materials in a storage area for compressed gas cylinders
- install appropriate warning signs where cylinders are stored, and make sure they’re well-placed for visibility.
These are the basics. Of course, a lot depends on what kind of gases your business uses. Toxic gases such as ammonia, ethylamine and chlorine need to be stored in a ventilated space that is fully sprinkled.
Here are a few more important reminders
- store cylinders upright, securing them in a proper cylinder cart
- keep valves completely closed and secure any protective devices such as valve cover caps
- avoid storing cylinders in lockers to prevent gas buildup
- store empty cylinders apart from full ones
- clearly mark or use a tag to label empty cylinders
- carefully inspect cylinders and valve regulators for damage on a regular basis.
Moving your gas cylinders
- provide anyone working in the area with the proper safety equipment such as protective footwear and gloves, and safety eyeglasses
- make sure you have the proper equipment for transporting cylinders before starting
- never drag or roll cylinders on the floor. Use a hand truck designed for transporting cylinders and properly secure the cylinder to it
- avoid dropping cylinders or hitting them against other cylinders or objects
- never lift cylinders using magnets, or by their caps or guards.
If you have further questions about government regulations for storing, handling or moving industrial gases, please speak with us. You can also review information from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Count on us if you need help
Hocon Industrial Gas has been providing our customers with a wide array of industrial, specialty, cryogenic and medical gases for more than 30 years. Our staff has the knowledge and experience to help you find the right product for your business needs. Visit one of our showrooms or contact us today for further information.